Thursday, February 24, 2011

Studio Design on a Shoestring

This is a post about when I first set up my studio.  I will post more recent pictures later.

I know a lot of people have been posting pictures of their quilt studios.   My ideas may help those of you who don't have a lot of money to spend.  I have been lucky enough to take over my college son's bedroom.  Just a little bit of muscle changes my cutting table area back into a bed.  I have use the headboard and two saw horses to make my cutting table.  A 4ft by 7ft piece of marker board was glued to the same size piece of plywood.  This makes a great top to draw on or for working with paint.  For Christmas I had a mat-board custom cut to fit over this.  My tools are kept on the wall on scrap pieces of peg board.  I didn't even have to throw out my son's teddy bear collection or gymnastic medals
studio6
studio7

My storage system has been plastic stack drawers that I try to get when I can find them on sale. (Usually at Big lots) I use them as the base for my pressing table.  The top is again plywood with cotton batting and muslin stretched  over it and stapled on the back. 
studio4

I removed the closet doors and added boards for shelves and more storage bins.   An empty dresser and two night stands stacked serve as extra storage.
studio13 studio12

My biggest challenge was for a sewing table.  I had a folding table just the right height,  but I wanted my machine set down in like a "real" sewing table.  We went to Lowes to find some 1/2 inch thick smooth wood.  We couldn't find anything suitable, but it was suggested that we look in floor tiles because the boxes had smooth boards in the top for shipping that are thrown away.  We found two that were perfect size.  ( and free)  My husband traced my machine and cut a hole in both boards.  Then we glued them with wood glue.  A frame was made using 2' by 1" wood.  Finally a notch was cut in the frame so I could load the bobin without lifting my machine.  It may not be fancy, but it sure works great.
studio9
studio8 studio10

My design wall was made with white flannel over fiber board.
studio2
The last wall of my studio is where my daughter's sewing machine is and of course a few more storage boxes.  You can see the corner of my pressing table on the left.
studio3

No comments:

Post a Comment