Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dyeing with Fungi

Here are some pictures of the fungi I found today.  The first one is part of some fungi growing from the side of our hackberry tree. 

The second is from a stump in my neighbors yard.  I went to ask them about scraping lichen and fungi from their woodpile and they helped me pull these off one of their tree stumps in.

Now I am souring the fabric in hot water with soda ash and alum.  I will let these soak all night and then hand to dry, before dyeing them.  I will be testing with the following ingredients added to the dye: salt, vinegar, lemon juice, alum, cream of tartar, ammonia. Can't wait to try this.  Will work outside with old pots and the heat base for the turkey fryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment