I am really pleased with my results, not because I did a particularly fantastic job with it, but because I was able to get it done at all. First I arrived at Monday's class 4 hours late. Yes, that was correct. I had a neurologist visit and had made arrangements for being late, but no idea I would be this late. Lola just took it in stride and got me started.
I chose a lovely colored batik for my project. I transfered my design and started free-motion quilting away. (Oh, I'm good!) My machine decided to cause all kinds of trouble. I quilted quite a bit and stopped to check out the back stitches. When I pulled the bottom thread, all of my work came unstitched and I was left holding a long curling wad of black thread. After many attempts to correct this, a friend let me use her machine. (Yeah!) I was able to get the girl finished in black and start on the coloring. My first idea was to use free-motion vines in a shimmering white for the background, but it just didn't do a thing for the quilt. Lola suggested large diamonds.
So yesterday, I use superior variegated thread 808 to do small meandering in the background. I also recolored the girl using ink intense pencils to make her much darker. My machine is working fine -just used a different bobbin and another brand of thread.
Here are my results. I will still have to decide on a boarder technique.