I started with looking through my large and small scraps for lights and darks.
Next I sorted thread for various red shades. It is unfortunate that as soon as white is added to fed you get pink or if yellow a peachy shade. I decided to only use the reds.
Here is my pizza slice wedge based on the flower contours from a small section. I started with red satin, but scored it. I found a darker cotton and utilized what I could of the satin scrape for the applique pieces.
Below is my finished piece. After lots of applique and then quilting I finished the piece off by going around the edges twice with yarn and a zigzag stitch.
You may be able to see some of the free hand quilting by clicking on the close up.
Unfortunately, i was not happy with my results. I think when i have time I will do a realistic read rose.